Written by Lisa Cinciripini
First you should have at least two quality Canine First Aid books, take the time to read and familiarize yourself with the books before an emergency. With almost all dogs, especially Neapolitans - it is not if you will have an emergency but when will you have an emergency. It is recommended that you have two first aid kits, one in the home and one in the car.
The Best response to an emergency is preparedness !
Create a List of Emergency Phone Numbers -
- Primary Vet's number
- Afterhours emergency clinic phone number
- Breeders number
- National Animal Poison Control Center Telephone Number: 1-800-548-2423
Neapolitan Mastiff First Aid Kit
The following are just suggestions, please consult this list with your Vet. Take the time to familiarize yourself with use of items
- Emergency Phone Number List
- Bloat Kit
- Large Blanket - to either help with transport, warm if in shock, or to comfort
- Two large towels, 4 rags - to control bleeding if needed
- Benadryl - Allergic reactions, bee stings, etc..
- Instant Ice pack - the crush and activate kind - can be used for heat stroke, swelling and even bleeding in some cases.
- 60 cc Syringe, 3 cc syringe, 20 gauge needle
- For Diarrhea & Vomiting - Pepto Bismo 1 tsp per 20 pounds Kaopectate 1sp per 20 pounds - easiest to use the 60 cc syringe to administer
- To Induce Vomiting - Consult Poison Control or Vet prior to use Ipecac or Hydrogen Peroxide
- Rectal Thermometor -Normal 101.5
- Emergency First Aid Book - even if you know what to do already, in a crisis it is difficult to keep your thoughts clear.
Animal CPR http://members.aol.com/henryhbk/acpr.html
Bloat First Aid http://www.kifka.com/Elektrik/BloatFirstAid.htm