Showing your Mastini
Before you enter a ring both you and your Neapolitan need to be prepared.
You must be familiar with the Official Standard of the Neapolitan Mastiff, this is the criteria by which your Neapolitan will be judged.
Begin by attending a few shows, it doesn't matter if Neo's are there or not. Just sit ringside and observe. Showing is a sport - you need to learn the rules.
After you have observed, check out some books and videos - many are available at your local library.
Locate and attend a "conformation class" - check with your Vet, groomer, boarding facilities, local parks and recreation centers. Many places offer 'drop in' conformation classes.
The Neapolitan Mastiff was recognized by the American Kennel Club July 1, 2004 in the working group. In Canada, the Neo was recognizd March 2006.
In the rest of the world, the Neo can compete at FCI events.
To find shows you can visit the following sites - many organizations will gladly add you to their mailing list, so you will know when shows are in your area.
All Breed & Rare Breed Show Organizations
- IABCA - International All Breed Canine Assoc. - Holds shows throughout the US and Canada - Neapolitans are frequent participants.
- Rarities Inc. - Rare Breed dog shows - Mostly US - Neapolitans are frequent participants.
- ARBA - American Rare Breed Assoc. - Mostly US - Neapolitans used to be frequent participants but Neo numbers have dropped last few years.
- Info Dog - American Kennel Club (AKC) shows - this site lists every AKC show in the US
- AKC - American Kennel Club - Has a show somewhere in the US almost every weekend.
Conformation / Showing Resources
Top Left photo: The First AKC Champion of record CH Sergio of the Oaks
Middle photo: The First CKC & AKC dual titled Neapolitan Mastiff CH Baby Blue's Madrid
Top Right photo: The cover of the AKC Gazette introducing the Neapolitan Mastiff Cinciripini's Rosino & Cinciripini's Barchetta grace the cover